For spring, the must-have beauty looks are eminently wearable.
Story by Anna M. Park
Makeup artists used words like “effortless,” “glowing,” and “inner beauty of the soul shining through” to describe the luminous skin seen at many a runway show. To achieve that inner glow, everyone from Altuzarra to Zac Posen started with a dose of hydration — moisturizers, eye creams and even Dr. Jart sheet masks at Opening Ceremony. Use a concealer or velvet matte foundation, like Diane Kendal used at Thakoon, to even out skin tone and then a pale pink strobe highlighter for a “natural, healthy” glow. On the other side of the spectrum, at Opening Ceremony, NARS Director of Global Artistry James Boehmer used a gold highlighter and lip gloss on the high planes of the face to channel a “botanical green house with moisture and condensation on the skin.”
- Laura Mercier Candleglow Soft Luminous Foundation, $48, sephora.com
- Clinique Chubby in the Nude Foundation Stick, $24, clinique.com. RMS Beauty Master Mixer, $38, rmsbeauty.com
- Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Mood Light, $45, hourglasscosmetics.com
The new matte lip looks luminous, not dry or severe. To achieve this, matte lipstick was pressed on with fingers at Dolce & Gabbana, while at DKNY, Maybelline’s new Matte Liquid imparted a velvet finish. To mattify your favorite lipstick, apply a nude lip liner or concealer and press lipstick on with fingers.
- Maybelline Color Sensational Vivid Matte Liquid Lip Color in Rebel Red, $7.99, ulta.com
- Le Metier de Beaute Moisture Matte Lipstick in Cinema, $32, neimanmarcus.com
- Gucci Luxurious Moisture-Rich Lipstick in Lilac, $40, saksfifthavenue.com
Inspired by a jet-setting lifestyle, designers like Diane von Furstenberg and Rachel Zoe were all about hair’s natural texture — effortless, loose and, yes, even fluffy. Redken Global Creative Director Guido emphasized each model’s texture at Alexander Wang with Redken Wind Blown 05 for a “downtown feeling.” At Rachel Zoe, TRESemmé stylist Jeanie Syfu rough dried hair to bring out the natural texture, and then created pin curls with a 1-1⁄4 inch curling iron, enhancing horizontal ridges with the clamps.
- Hot Tools Salon Curling Iron/Wand Extended Barrel 24k Gold, $59.99, ulta.com.
- TRESemmé Perfectly (un)Done Wave Creation Sea Foam, $6.99, tresemme.com.
- Redken Wind Blown 05 Dry Finishing Spray, $19, ulta.com.