Denise Austin is a pioneer in the fitness industry who has sold more than 24 million exercise videos and DVDs, authored 12 books on fitness and starred in the longest running fitness show in the history of television. Denise’s trademark zest for life, positive outlook and can-do attitude has endeared her to millions of fans across the country and around the world, earning her the reputation as “America’s favorite fitness expert.” During more than 30 years promoting health and fitness, Denise has created 100 workout videos. Her latest workout DVDs include 2013 Burn Fat Walk, 2012’s Shrink Your Belly Fat, Fit in a Flash, and Shrink Your 5 Fat Zones (Lionsgate). Her newest book Side Effect Skinny: Denise Austin’s Fat-Blasting Diet was released in December 2012 (Bird Street Books). On television, Denise has created a loyal audience with her two major television shows: Getting Fit, which ran for 10 years on ESPN and continued on under the new name Denise Austin’s Daily Workout when it moved to the Lifetime Television Network. Denise appeared in Daily Workout and a second show, Fit & Lite, for 14 years on Lifetime.
FITNESS: DENISE SUGGESTS THESE 3 FITNESS TIPS TO KEEP THE CALORIES BURNING THROUGH THE NEW YEAR
- Find no excuses – It is best to wake up and squeeze in a work out to make sure to get it in before day goes crazy to avoid missing any days. For every hour in the day that you haven’t worked out, chances that you will work out lower. Research shows that morning workouts are best to keep a routine and help avoid distractions which can cause to missing a workout
- Posture plays a key role in a flat belly – “You are your own architect” By how you sit, stand, posture, you are molding your muscles. Remember to sit straight, stand tall, pull in tummy, shoulders down and back, zip up abs throughout day as if you’re zipping a tight pair of jeans. Do 5 seconds of tummy tighteners throughout the day – 5 seconds = one situp.
- Music is your best friend! Music plays a key role in maximizing your workout by helping to get your heart rate up and motivates you to push yourself harder causing you to burn up to 20% more calories when listening to music.
FOOD: VEGETARIAN CHILI: FILL UP ON THIS HEALTHY RECIPE THAT CAN BE A MEAL OR A PART OF A SNACK
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onions
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes, fresh or canned
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Pinch cinnamon
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 cup cooked black, pinto, or red kidney beans
(if using canned, choose no-salt-added or lowsodium beans, rinse and drain well before use)
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions, carrot, cilantro, tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and cinnamon. Stir well and cook until the vegetables are soft, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the tomato juice and beans. Simmer for 10 minutes.